Friday, July 13, 2012

creative clay

My kids love arts and crafts and they have this annoying imaginative ability to make crafts out of anything! (Imagine little hands riffling through the recyling bin. Repurpsing recycled items to into crafts has it's place, but my kids seem to take it to whole new level.)

Therefore, I'm happy to provide craft materials for them. When we came across this Creative Clay recipe using only two ingredients, it looked too fun and easy to pass up.

This recipe makes a soft clay that can be cut with cookie cutters or shaped, and then air dried until hard.



MATERIALS
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1 1/4 cups cold water
  • Saucepan and spoon

DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix the cornstarch, baking soda, and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for five minutes until very thick, resembling mashed potatoes.
  2. Rest on a plate until cool enough to handle.
  3. Roll, cut, or shape as desired.
  4. Let dry for 2 days.
  5. Paint or finish as desired.

It is really easy to work with and dries firm. I know -we now have a whole collection of Littlest Pet Shops knock offs.

Anyone else ever make this before?

Sunday: |I Heart Naptime|Nifty Thrifty Things|It's Overflowing| MopItUp| Twigg Studios| Monday: |Made By You| C.R.A.F.T.| DIY Showoff|Between Naps on the Porch| Home Stories A to Z| diy home sweet home| Dedicated House| Tuesday: Coastal Charm|Tip Junkie|My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia|A Bowl Full of Lemons|Get Your Craft On|ClaimingOurSpace Wednesday: Uncommon|Savvy Southern Style |Organize and Decorate| NYMelroseFamily|Southern Lovely| Home Happy Home|Gingersnap Crafts Thursday: The Shabby Creek Cottage|Made in a Day|House of Hepworths|the 36th Avenue| Crafty Scrappy, Happy|52 Mantels Friday: Making Lemonade|Blissful and Domestic|One Artsy Mama|Serenity Now| Tatertots and Jello|The Shabby Nest|Thirty Handmade Days|Addicted 2 Decorating|Funky Junk Interiors|Financial Friday|At the Picket Fence|Classy Clutter|

8 comments:

  1. ooooo... I can't wait to try this. K will love making and painting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...I did it and it got all cracked and yucky when it dried. What did I do wrong, Laura?

      Delete
  2. Sadly, my daughter is not a crafty person...sigh...However, I AM giving this a try to make a craft item or two for around the house, lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a neat clay recipe! I've made it twice, and the first time didn't cook it enough. Bad idea!!! Works much better when you follow the directions (surprise...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is perfect! my kids played with homemade play dough for hours and hours...and it constantly sparked their creativity....
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try to make this. I was going to make stamped clay gift tags for this years holiday presents. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this on Pinterest..I've been looking for a clay like this. Thank you!

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10